Back to Pojo's Pokemon Site


Pojo's Total Yu-Gi-Oh!

Pokedex

Price Guide
Set List

Message Board

Polls & Trivia 

Featured Articles
&
News

Nintendo Tips
- Gold & Silver
- Crystal 
- Ruby & Sapphire
-
SNAP
- Pinball
- TCG cart
- Yellow
- Red/Blue
- Stadium
- Puzzle League 
- Pokemon Team Garage
- E-Reader FAQ - Exp. 
- Aquapolis E-Card FAQ

Trading Card Game
-
Price Guide
- Set List 
- Killer Deck Reports
- Deck Garage
- Card of the Day
- Featured Articles
- TCG Strategies
- Apprentice & Patch
- Apprentice League
- Spoilers & Translations
- Places to Play
- STS Reports
- Top of the World
- Wotc Card Lists 
- Ness's Nest 
- Random Report 
- Pokemaster's Pad
- CHRISBO's Chat Corner
- Greg's CCG Promo News
- Printable Checklist

Deck Garage
- Satoshi's Shop
- Martin's Mansion 
- Khap's Dojo 
- TR Cassidy
- TR Shadow

Cartoon/Anime
- Episode Listing
- Character Bios
- Movies & Videos
- What's a Pokemon?
- Video List

Featured Articles

Pojo's Toy Box

Books & Videos

Downloads

Advertise With Us
- Sponsors
- Links

Chat

About Us
Contact Us

Pojo's Pokemon Card of the Day


Image from
Wizards of the Coast

Steelix - Aquapolis


Date Reviewed: 04/07/03

Ratings & Reviews below

Ratings are based on a 1 to 5 scale
1 being the worst.  3 ... average.  
5 is the highest rating.


TwInSeN21
Steelix (Aqua.)

I like this card. Earth Rift does a guaranteed 10 damage to ALL of your opponent's Benched Pokemon. If your opponent has a bunch of Babies or low HP Pokemon, this attack would really help you as you might get multiple prizes in a short period of time. The coin flip kinda sucks, but hopefully when you flip Tails, you will have enough Energy to use Iron Smash on the next turn. On average, the attack does 50 damage. A bit more unreliable than the Genesis one though. The lack of HP is also not too good.

In Unlimited, I would stick with Genesis Steelix. It requires less Energy and has more HP. Rating: 3/5

In Modified, I still see Genesis Steelix to be more playable. Once Genesis is rotated out though, this version might serve as a pretty good substitute... Rating: 3.3/5

In Draft, you probably will never be able to use the 2nd attack as it requires too much work and luck. A 100HP that can do bench damage for just 2 Colorless Energy is really nice though. A moderately high pick. Rating: 3.8/5
X- Act
Aquapolis Steelix
 
This Steelix is a pretty nice card. It has 10 less HP than its Genesis cousin, but, in return, it's much more offensive. Earth Rift isn't as bad as it looks. It's actually a pretty deadly attack. It does 10 to all of your opponent's Pokemon, then, if tails, you can't repeat that attack next turn. This is much better than flipping each turn to do the bench damage. In 3 turns, you're guaranteed to do at least 20 to all of your opponent's Pokemon... that's superb. Iron Smash is a mediocre attack, in my opinion. It does 50 50% of the time for [2MM], and that 25% chance of doing no damage plainly sucks. It's still got the tremendously heavy retreat of 4, and also has the Grass Resistance - unlike its metallic friend from the same set.
 
Unlimited: I don't see this card doing badly in this format. Earth Rift is superb Bench damage, and its Energy Cost can be paid with two Recycle Energies. You won't be able to use Iron Smash much, if at all, because of SER. I see this to be a good TeCH with Genesis Steelix, playing 3 of the Genesis version and 1 of this version. Three Earth Rifts effectively KOs all of your opponent's Babies in play, and you know that Babies aren't rare. I think this could do well in this format, but not as the main attacker... just as a Baby cleaner, if you allow. :)
3/5
 
Modified: Again, this could do well. You might want to use Iron Smash more here too, although I personally don't like it much. It's just me, but I hate "Flip 2 coins. If both are tails, this attack does nothing"-type attacks. :/ Neo Genesis' Steelix's Tail Crush does an average of 40 for [2M], while Iron Smash does, on average, only slightly more (42.5 to be exact) for [2MM]. You may want to TeCH this card like in Unlimited just for Earth Rift and play Genesis Steelix. Admittedly, Earth Rift is a sort-of tails-fails attack too, but the difference is that you know that your attack won't fail at the third turn. Yes, Fire hurts it, but that's why you play Water with it. :)
3/5
 
Draft: In Draft, you won't Draft many Metal Energies or Rainbow Energies (if at all), so you won't normally use Iron Smash. Earth Rift, however, is a different case. However, bench damage in Draft isn't as effective as in Constructed, so the desirability of this Steelix is lowered. Still, its massive 100HP is nice, especially if you do manage to Draft Metal Energy. It's rare though. :(
2.5/5
dontknow09 Aquapolis Steelix

A new steelix, with a very cool picture. Very nice 100HP for a stage 1. Not as good as the 110 from gen, but still good. Fire weakness is still a very bad thing, because fire pokemon tend to do lots of damage. Thats where that extra 10 HP REALLY comes in handy. Resistance to grass is still on there, unlike that scizor(grrr). I sure wish this steelix had 0 retreat instead of 4, lol. The attacks I like. Earth RIftis really cool with no flips to actually do it and not affecting you at all. 2 colorless makes this attack very splashable. The only downside is the flip at the end, but at least its better than a flip to attempt to do bench damage. Iron Smash is very costly, and risky. Sure you can do 70, but the chances of that happening are the same as doing no damage.

Unlimited- I'd go for the gen steelix. Earth rift doesnt do too much damage to the active, though it damages the bench. Iron smash is really expensive, and good ER bait.  2.25/5

Modified- It really depends. I've heard ideas of people using this card in combination of EX Gatr, since Earth Rift is really flexible in its costs. I wouldnt use Iron Smash, but rather abuse this steelix as  a bench damager.  2.75/5

Draft- This steel snake is fast. In 2 turns, you could start piling up damage on the bench. 100HP makes it last very long. If you're lucky to pull out 2 metals, it'll last even longer. The only downside is that its an evo, and much harder to pull out.  2.75/5

-dontknow09

Insane
Chao
Aquapolis Steelix
Coolness! I'm picking this week! =D
This Steelix is forced to forever to live in the shadow of its Neo Genesis Cousin. Same with all reprints of formerly broken cards like new scythers, sneasels, slokings, etc.
This one does deserve much more than just some discussion. 100 HP on a Stage 1 is good. very, very good, I might add. weakness to fire is classic, and resistance to grass is nice, given the amount of meganium/executor or jumpluff  decks I'm seeing lately. 4 retreat is bad, so you wont be retreating him, use switch, not balloon berry, save his poketool for something like a goldberry or focus band.
Attacks are coolness. 2 for ten seems sad until you read the effect. 10 to each benched pokemon. nice for taking out those who retreated after being nearly KOed. sure theres a 50/50 chance you cant use it next turn, but that means its 50/50 you CAN use it next turn, instead of just not being able to at all. Second attack is like AQ Nidoking, but a little toned down, and uses Steel Energy (Take that nidoking! aint so high and mighty now that we have steel energy!). 25% chance of 70 for 4 (which is good) 50% chance of 50 for 4 (which is okay, given you'll use it again and again with the steel energies keeping you alive) and a 25% chance of nothing. so many people are thrown off by the double tails effect, but average it out and its an average of 55 damage a turn, maybe round it up to 60, pretty nice.
 
Unlimited: Its a modified legal card. unless they make it insanely broken, I doubt it'll stand a chance. ER, Gust, Sneasel, Hitmonchan, Magmar, Wigglytuff. It just doesnt make sense to use him in an unlimited deck. although with some recycles the first attack might make sense. 2/5
 
Modified: Worth it many times over. just be careful of fires is all. these attacks speak for themselves. *pictures having all 4 steels and doing 50 damage a turn* *goes to make a deck out of steelix * ^_~ 4/5
 
Draft: Draft him, you'll get an onyx somewhere! no way you'll get 2 steels but bench damage is devastating in draft and his HP is so high @_@ 4.5/5

 


Pojo.com is here to provide guidance to all Pokemon trainers out there.  Whether it's the Gameboy Game, N64 or the Trading Card Game, PoJo.com provides all the wisdom you desire. 

If you have cool game tips, a killer deck, or breaking news ... send them to us.  We'll post it on the site ... and give you all the credit.  

 

| Home |
| Nintendo Tips || Trading Card Game |

| Pokedex
  Cartoon Info |

All material copyright of Pojo.com.  
This site is not associated with Nintendo, Wizards of the Coast, Creatures, or GAMEFREAK.
Pokemon, Gameboy, and Gotta catch 'em all! are registered trademarks of Nintendo.

Copyright pojo.com 1998-2003

  Click Here to Visit!    Click Here to Visit!    Click Here to Visit!  Click Here to Visit!  Click Here to Visit!