Back to Pojo's Pokemon Site

cover
This is a cool Book!

Pojo's Pokemon Card of the Day

Dark Venusaur - Promo


Date Reviewed: 07.07.03

Ratings & Reviews below

Ratings are based on a 1 to 5 scale
1 being the worst.  3 ... average.  
5 is the highest rating.

Thundachu Dark Venusaur

Overview: wow. There is a Dark Venusaur as well? 70HP makes it the lowest of the Venusaurs. Weakness to fire. Typhlosion, Magcargo, Entei, etc will eat this thing in 1 hit. Retreat of 2 is ok for a stage 2. Same as the stage 1. It's attack "Horrid Pollen" isnt really a "Horrid attack". For 3 grass energies Flip 2 coins. If 1 is heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Asleep and Poisoned. If both are heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Confused and Poisoned. If both are tails, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed and Poisoned. Either way it is poisoned and does 30 damage automaticly. Nice.

Unlimited: 3/5

Modified: It could actually be good here. 3/5

Draft: N/A

The Poke`mon Master 1110 
Dark Venusaur:

Oh, yes.  He rules.  Thirty and automatic double status effect for 3 energy is good, DONT tell me it's not.  With a Rocket's Hideout, this guy is so hard to beat it's unbeleivable.  I MIGHT even try out 2 of him and 2 Base/LC venusaur for Energy Trans/Pokemon Center healing.  It could work.  And don't forget he can use Dark energy with no drawbacks.  All good here!

Unlimited:  Well, he is slow, low HP and ER weak (although just about EVERYTHING is!) :  2/5

Modified:  I don't see why he wouldn't be playable here.  Sure there are Double Gusts, but he still is good.:  3.75/5

Limited:  Mercy.  If he was legal... oh geeze.  N/A

The Bottom Line:  2.75/5

X- Act
Dark Venusaur
 
It's now the turn of Dark Venusaur. A Stage 2 with 70HP, which can be pumped up to 90 with Rocket's Hideout. It has only one attack: Horrid Pollen. For 3 Grass Energies, it does 30 and auto-Poisons. Then you have a 50% chance of making the Defending Pokemon Asleep, a 25% chance of making it Paralyzed, and a 25% chance of making it Confused. Like its Dark pre-evolution, it has a retreat cost of 2.
 
The Special Conditions this Pokemon is capable of inducing are quite impressive. Note that all of these Special Conditions can make the Defending Pokemon not attack next turn. It's a decent card, but being weak to Fire isn't nice, and your opponent can just be lucky by awakening immediately or flipping heads for the Confusion check. Or, of course, he or she can just Switch or, in some cases, retreat.
 
Unlimited: I don't think it's very viable here. This format has quite a number of Pokemon with little or no retreat (Sneasel, Murkrow, Scyther, etc.), and Switch and Warp Energy are common too. Plus, it's not easy to setup this Stage 2 with only 70HP and an attack which requires 3 Energies.
1.5/5
 
Modified: It's not too bad here, but it's still not very good. Scizor will ignore the Poison inflicted by Dark Venusaur (but you might want to play Ledian with Dark Venusaur), although it will still become Asleep, Confused or Paralyzed. Magcargo can easily kill Dark Venusaur. It's not easy for Dark Venusaur to survive in this environment too.
2/5
 
Draft: You can't draft a promo.
N/A

 


Pojo.com is here to provide guidance to all Pokemon trainers out there.  Whether it's the Gameboy Game, N64 or the Trading Card Game, PoJo.com provides all the wisdom you desire. 

If you have cool game tips, a killer deck, or breaking news ... send them to us.  We'll post it on the site ... and give you all the credit.  

 

| Home |
| Nintendo Tips || Trading Card Game |

| Pokedex || Pokemon News || Cartoon Info |

All material copyright of Pojo.com.  
 c-1998-200This site is not associated with Nintendo, Wizards of the Coast, Creatures, or GAMEFREAK. Pokemon, Gameboy, and Gotta catch 'em all! are registered trademarks of Nintendo.

   

Click Here to Visit!    Click Here to Visit!
Click Here to Visit! 
Click Here to Visit! Click Here to Visit!
Click Here to Visit!