Pojo's Pokemon news, tips, strategies and more!

Pokemon Home

Pokedex

Price Guide Set List

Message Board

Pokemon GO Tips

Pokemon News

Polls & Trivia

Featured Articles


Trading Card Game
- Price Guide
- Price Guide
- Card of the Day
- Professional Grading
- Killer Deck Reports
- Deck Garage
- William Hung
- Jason Klaczynski
- Jeremy's Deck Garage
- Johnny Blaze's Banter
- TCG Strategies
- Rulings Help
- Apprentice & Patch
- Apprentice League
- Spoilers & Translations
- Official Rules
- Featured Event Reports
- Top of the World
- An X-Act Science
- Error Cards
- Printable Checklist
- Places to Play


Nintendo Tips
- Red/Blue
- Yellow
- Gold & Silver
- Crystal
- Ruby & Sapphire
- Fire Red & Leaf Green
- Emerald
- SNAP
- Pinball
- TCG cart
- Stadium
- PuPuzzle League
- Pinball: Ruby/Sapphire
- Pokemon Coliseum
- Pokemon Box
- Pokemon Channel


GameBoy Help
- ClownMasters Fixes
- Groudon's Den
- Pokemon of the Week

E-Card Reader FAQ's
- Expedition
- Aquapolis
- Skyridge
- Construction Action Function
- EON Ticket Manual


Deck Garage
- Pokemaster's Pit Stop
- Kyle's Garage
- Ghostly Gengar


Cartoon/Anime
- Episode Listing
- Character Bios
- Movies & Videos
- What's a Pokemon?
- Video List
- DVD List


Featured Articles

Pojo's Toy Box

Books & Videos

Downloads

Advertise With Us
- Sponsors
-
Links

Chat

About Us
Contact Us

Buy & Sell Pokemon Cards Here!

Magic
Yu-Gi-Oh!
DBZ
Pokemon
Yu Yu Hakusho
NeoPets
HeroClix
Harry Potter
Anime
Vs. System
Megaman



Pojo's Pokemon Card of the Day

 

Cyrus's Initiative

Supreme Victors

Date Reviewed: 08.17.09

Ratings & Reviews Summary

Modified: 2.60
Limited: 3.50

Ratings are based on a 1 to 5 scale.
1 being the worst. 
3 ... average.  
5 is the highest rating.

Back to the main COTD Page

Jigglypuff13 8/17 Cyrus's Initiative (SV)

Hello, and welcome to the first full Supreme Victors week, which, and I'm just guessing this, is celebrating the release of Supreme victors this week (the 19th to be precise). Anyway, we start the week with Cyrus's Initiative, one of the new Supporters in Supreme Victors, with a strange little effect. You flip 2 coins, and for each heads, you choose a card from your opponents hand (whilst looking, not randomly) and put it on the bottom of your opponents deck. It seems mildly disruptive at first glance, getting useful cards from your opponents hand out of it, so they can't use them during their turn, but just think about it properly. Your one Supporter for the turn to possibly get up to 2 cards from your opponents hand to the bottom of their deck, so they can draw more cards with Claydol (GE) or Uxie (LA). OK, you get to choose what cards, but often, they will be able to them back next turn with useful Supporters, or just drawing into them. I suppose there is one use I can't think of for this card, and that is if you are against an SP deck that you know run a few Power Sprays. Using Cyrus's Initiative, you (may) get to look at your opponents hand, see if they have any Power Sprays, and if so, remove them before you use your PokÚ-Powers, without worrying about them Power Spraying any of them. Useful if you have a big turn coming, but still a bit luck reliant.

Ratings:

Modified: A bit too luck reliant, and really, if you truly think about it long and hard, is really not that good. All you allow them to do is draw more cards with Claydol next turn, probably getting the cards back that you took away eventually. As far as I can tell, getting rid of Power Sprays are the only useful thing to come out of using this card. Really no. 1.25/5

Limited: Still no here really. OK, you may remove a key evolution or energy for many turn, but it's still flippy, which makes it unreliable, and something you really don't want to use. It may be nice, but since you'll probably only get 1 or maybe 2 tops in your limited packs, and are they really going to help in such numbers? There's a chance, and that's the cards biggest problem, luck. 1.75/5

Finally, a congratulations to the new World Champions, and also, to Sammi Sekkoum. He may not have won, but he did a great job for the UK.
Steel_Winger Welcome back to the Pokemon COTD!

And for those of you who went to Worlds, I hope you all had a great time there! Congratulations to the champions of the Masters, Seniors, and Juniors divisions!

Now, on to our featured card, which is one of the new Supporters from Supreme Victors: Cyrus's Initiative! You get to flip 2 coins, and for every heads you get to look at your opponent's hand, choose a card from it, and put it at the bottom of his/her deck.

Personally, I like this card. With this you can deny your opponent certain cards with a successful coin flip. You also get to flip 2 coins instead of just one, so there's a better chance of success. A 75% chance to get the effect off as a matter of fact, and a 25% chance that you'll get to shrink your opponent's hand by 2 cards. Sure, many people may not think 75% is consistent enough, but it's a lot better than some 50-50 cards we have. (Imagine how broken Poke Ball would be if you could flip two coins instead of one.) Not to mention that you can basically what your opponent plans to do next turn if you're good at reading plays.

So, what do you try to target if you succeed with this effect? Here's a quick list of potential targets:

Claydol (GE).

Bebe's Search.

Roseanne's Research.

Rare Candy.

Cyrus's Conspiracy.

Energy Gain/Power Spray.

Basically, anything that helps your opponent set up (there's another target right there!) or take control of the match. It may not send the targeted cards to the discard pile, but putting it at the bottom of the deck means they'll more than likely have to expend some more resources to get a card or two back in hand. Unless they're playing Underground Expedition...

Combos? Combo this with Sableye (SF), first and foremost. When you go first, if you can Impersonate this successfully, chances are that your opponent will be less likely to explode out of the gate with a barrage of Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums when their turn comes up. That can be pretty helpful, don't you think? You could also try it with Absol (SW). Use the Initiative first and target a Pokemon or energy or two; this makes it so you'll have a better chance of Absol targeting the Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums left in their hand, making it easier for you to discard more cards.

If you get it, playtest with it. It could prove to be a big help if it works.

Ratings:

Modified: 4/5 It would get an extra point if it didn't have a chance of failing... A great card for disruption.
Limited: 5/5 If you have it, you have GOT to play it. You don't get that many Supporters in Limited anyway, and this is a great one to use.

This is Steel_Winger, and now I leave you with a quote from "The Art of War", Chapter 13, excerpt 4:

"Thus, what enables the wise sovereign and the good general to strike and conquer, and achieve things beyond the reach or ordinary men, is foreknowledge."
 


Copyrightę 1998-2009 pojo.com
This site is not sponsored, endorsed, or otherwise affiliated with any of the companies or products featured on this site. This is not an Official Site.