Pojo's Pokemon news, tips, strategies and more!

Pokemon Home

Pokedex

Price Guide Set List

Message Board

Pokemon GO Tips

Pokemon News

Polls & Trivia

Featured Articles


Trading Card Game
- Price Guide
- Price Guide
- Card of the Day
- Professional Grading
- Killer Deck Reports
- Deck Garage
- William Hung
- Jason Klaczynski
- Jeremy's Deck Garage
- Johnny Blaze's Banter
- TCG Strategies
- Rulings Help
- Apprentice & Patch
- Apprentice League
- Spoilers & Translations
- Official Rules
- Featured Event Reports
- Top of the World
- An X-Act Science
- Error Cards
- Printable Checklist
- Places to Play


Nintendo Tips
- Red/Blue
- Yellow
- Gold & Silver
- Crystal
- Ruby & Sapphire
- Fire Red & Leaf Green
- Emerald
- SNAP
- Pinball
- TCG cart
- Stadium
- PuPuzzle League
- Pinball: Ruby/Sapphire
- Pokemon Coliseum
- Pokemon Box
- Pokemon Channel


GameBoy Help
- ClownMasters Fixes
- Groudon's Den
- Pokemon of the Week

E-Card Reader FAQ's
- Expedition
- Aquapolis
- Skyridge
- Construction Action Function
- EON Ticket Manual


Deck Garage
- Pokemaster's Pit Stop
- Kyle's Garage
- Ghostly Gengar


Cartoon/Anime
- Episode Listing
- Character Bios
- Movies & Videos
- What's a Pokemon?
- Video List
- DVD List


Featured Articles

Pojo's Toy Box

Books & Videos

Downloads

Advertise With Us
- Sponsors
-
Links

Chat

About Us
Contact Us

Buy & Sell Pokemon Cards Here!

Magic
Yu-Gi-Oh!
DBZ
Pokemon
Yu Yu Hakusho
NeoPets
HeroClix
Harry Potter
Anime
Vs. System
Megaman



Pojo's Pokemon Card of the Day

 

 Wigglytuff #56/123

HeartGold & SoulSilver

Date Reviewed: 04.09.10

Ratings & Reviews Summary

Modified: 1.87
Limited: 3.87

Ratings are based on a 1 to 5 scale.
1 being the worst. 
3 ... average.  
5 is the highest rating.

Back to the main COTD Page

kentucky
fried
torchic

Alright, the weekend's nearly here, so let's finish up the week with a review of Wigglytuff from, you guessed it, the HeartGold&SoulSilver expansion.

To kick things off, Wigglytuff is Colorless, which means it can be put in just about any deck and that it has the weakness of Flygon and Garchomp C, two of the most common Dragon-types out there. 90 HP is okay, but once again, on a non-evolving Stage One this is a tad below average. The weakness to Fighting, now back in the x2 form, doesn't help ensuring that most Fighting Pokemon will at the very least 3HKO Wigglytuff. No resistance is gettign to be way too common, and the lack of resistance to something means Wigglytuff won't be getting any survivability bonuses. Lastly, we have another retreat cost of two, which kinda makes sense, given that Wigglytuff's a bit on the plump size. And since both of its attacks can be paid for with a Double Colorless Energy, you can always discard that to retreat your pink plushy friend.

First attack, let's see, for two Colorless Energy we get Double Slap, a classic Colorless attack. This one's a bit more powerful then back in the Base Set, letting you flip two coins and doing 40 damage for each heads. That means you have a 25% chance of doing 80, a 50% chance of doing 40, and a 25% chace of doing nothing. If you're a gambler, you might find Double Slap appealing, but I prefer to stick to a sure thing.

This is it, you've piled three (or two for DCE and Upper users) energy onto your Wigglytuff and you look at the card in eager anticipation and get ready to use your most powerful attack, and that attack is: Expand. It's not that I have anything against Expand, but it seems a tad odd to have as a Pokemon's most powerful attack. Sure it does 50 damage and gives you a -10 resistance to any type next turn, but I'm more used t seeing it cost one Colorless and doing 10 damage. Nonetheless, Expand is an okay attack, the only thing setting me off is the energy requirements. If you've managed to power up Expand with a full HP Wigglytuff, either you are an amazing player, or your opponent has no idea what they"re doing.

More and more, it seems that Wigglytuff will never return to the glory days of Jungle, but at leas tthe HGSS Wigglytuff isn't a terrible card. The lack of a game-changing PokePower or PokeBody, sub-par HP, and slow, less than satisfying attacks all make this card rather useless in competitive play. Pray we get something good next week.

Modified 1.75/5
Wigglytuff is, as I said earlier, too slow, weak, and generally average to do much against anyone except cause some serious head-scratching.
Limited 4/5
Here's where Wigglytuff shines. Colorless energy requirements? Powerful(-ish) attacks? Reducing damage? Yes please! The Jigglypuff isn't half bad either.

~kentuckyfriedtorchic


Otaku

In the past, there were Wigglytuff that were serious contenders.

 

This… is not one of them.  90 HP is passable for a Stage 1 Pokémon: it can take one solid blow and survive, except from Fighting Pokémon of course, as Wigglytuff has the expected x2 Weakness to them.  No Resistance is lame and annoyingly common, but we’ll move on.  Needing to discard two Energy to retreat won’t cripple the card, but it doesn’t help it any: you’ll need something to switch it out or make retreating easier.

 

Its first attack, Double Slap, is flip based.  You flip two coins and get 40 damage for each heads.  40 points of damage for (CC) isn’t bad, and the most likely result.  While you’ll sometimes whiff and get no damage, you’re just as likely to get a great 80 points of damage.  As a whole, seems worth the risk, at least if the rest of the card proves worth using.  Too bad it doesn’t.  The remaining attack is called Expand, and it hits for three of any Energy, it hits for 50 while reducing the damage you take next turn by 10.  That just isn’t enough, and quite frankly the attack needs to block more damage and the card needs more HP or a means of self-healing to make damage reduction on the small scale effective.  More damage would also help, but if you hit much higher you might as well lose any alternate effects in favor of more damage anyway.

 

Wigglytuff continues the trend we’ve been seeing in HeartGold & SoulSilver and it worries me: a card that looks like its design was rushed.  A few more tweaks to this card and it could have been something worth running at least in a rogue deck.  Its like two half finished Wigglytuff couldn’t get their Poké-Power, Poké-Body, or “good” attack approved, and so the two solid supporting attacks were combined into one card.  At least this means the card is a good pick for fleshing out your Limited deck.  At a Limited event, the slower format makes it safer to take a risk on Double Slap and the reliable damage and protection of Expand useful.

 

Ratings

 

Modified: 2/5

 

Limited: 3.75/5

   


CopyrightŠ 1998-2010 pojo.com
This site is not sponsored, endorsed, or otherwise affiliated with any of the companies or products featured on this site. This is not an Official Site.