Pojo's Pokemon news, tips, strategies and more!

Pokemon Home

Pokedex

Price Guide Set List

Message Board

Pokemon GO Tips

Pokemon News

Polls & Trivia

Featured Articles


Trading Card Game
- Price Guide
- Set List
- Card of the Day
- Killer Deck Reports
- Deck Garage
- William Hung
- Jason Klaczynski
- Jeremy's Deck Garage
- Johnny Blaze's Banter
- TCG Strategies
- Rulings Help
- Apprentice & Patch
- Apprentice League
- Spoilers & Translations
- Official Rules
- Featured Event Reports
- Top of the World
- An X-Act Science
- Error Cards
- Printable Checklist
- Places to Play


Nintendo Tips
- Red/Blue
- Yellow
- Gold & Silver
- Crystal
- Ruby & Sapphire
- Fire Red & Leaf Green
- Emerald
- SNAP
- Pinball
- TCG cart
- Stadium
- PuPuzzle League
- Pinball: Ruby/Sapphire
- Pokemon Coliseum
- Pokemon Box
- Pokemon Channel


GameBoy Help
- ClownMasters Fixes
- Groudon's Den
- Pokemon of the Week

E-Card Reader FAQ's
- Expedition
- Aquapolis
- Skyridge
- Construction Action Function
- EON Ticket Manual


Deck Garage
- Pokemaster's Pit Stop
- Kyle's Garage
- Ghostly Gengar


Cartoon/Anime
- Episode Listing
- Character Bios
- Movies & Videos
- What's a Pokemon?
- Video List
- DVD List


Featured Articles

Pojo's Toy Box

Books & Videos

Downloads

Advertise With Us
- Sponsors
-
Links

Chat

About Us
Contact Us

Buy & Sell Pokemon Cards Here!

Magic
Yu-Gi-Oh!
DBZ
Pokemon
Yu Yu Hakusho
NeoPets
HeroClix
Harry Potter
Anime
Vs. System
Megaman



Pojo's Pokemon Card of the Day

 

Audino #87

Black & White

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2011

Ratings & Reviews Summary

Modified: 1.37
Limited:

Ratings are based on a 1 to 5 scale.
1 being the worst. 
3 ... average.  
5 is the highest rating.

Back to the main COTD Page

Combos With:

Baby Mario
2010 UK National
Seniors
Champion

Audino #87/114 (Black and White)

If you’ve seen the anime, you’ll know that Audino is the Chansey of the Unova Region, working alongside Nurse Joy in the Pokémon Centres. Audino also has its uses in the videogame, as they give massive amounts of EXP points to help you level up your Pokémon.

In the TCG? Completely different story.

Audino is an unevolving Basic with 80 HP. To me, that seems on the low side for a Pokémon of this type. The Retreat cost of two isn’t helpful, neither is Fighting Weakness. You won’t be in a hurry to use the Doubleslap attack either: For [C][C] you get to flip two coins and do 30 damage. Eh, I guess if you were really lucky, started with this and a Double Colourless and flipped two heads you could donk something but honestly, the chances are not good and from that point on Audino would just be a waste of space.

Today’s review is short but not sweet: Audino is not sufficiently durable and its attack is rubbish. Avoid.

Rating

Modified (HGSS-on): 1.25 (tomorrow’s card will be better)

Limited: 1.5 (even here, it’s not a lot of use)


Otaku

Thank you everyone who voted for Feeding South Dakota in the Toyota 100 Cars for Good on Facebook giveaway contest for charities. Feeding South Dakota won! :D

Audino is a Basic Pokémon from the Black & White set. With what little I just looked up from the video games, it appears to be a Normal-Type Pokémon that can't Evolve but has some use for having good HP (especially for a Basic Pokémon) and all around solid-to-good marks in the other stats. Being Colorless in MD-On (yes, less than two full days left of it) is useful for hitting Colorless Weakness on Garchomp C Lv.X. Seems like next format, it will become a more or less neutral type useful for buffering your deck's Weakness(es), which was largely how it was meant to be. I have just enough of a concern about Colorless Resistant Pokémon to warn you about them, but not in detail. 80 HP is good for a Basic that can't Evolve, but it is more or less the cut off: the best decks can OHKO it with their preferred set-up but supporting Pokémon will need a boost. The Fighting Weakness isn’t a huge concern: mostly it will save a bigger Fighting-Type burning a PlusPower or requiring another turn of set-up for their OHKO. It mostly becomes a problem when a deck isn't opening with Donphan Prime and has something simple up there to go down swinging: a Sawk will score a 2HKO by their second turn for the price of a single Fighting Energy.

No Resistance still feels weak on the part of the designers, but since it is so common it isn't doesn't really hurt performance for a Pokémon. A Retreat Cost of (CC) that seems a tad high: this isn't so big that it really needs to be balanced by more than a single Energy requirement for retreating.

Having a single attack on a Basic that doesn't Evolve is usually a bad sign. For (CC), Audino can use Double Slap: this version of the attack gives the usual two coin flips but does 30 points of damage per "heads". This is just enough to matter. Since it can use Double Colorless Energy it can Double Slap first turn. This gives you a one-in-four chance of OHKOing many Basic Pokémon; most Basic Pokémon if you are willing to use a PlusPower or two. The obvious problem is that one in four times (on average), your whiffing and doing no damage at all. The rest of the time (two of four possible results), you're hitting for 30 points of damage, which isn't bad for (CC) on a Basic Pokémon, but certainly isn't enough to carry a card (or get that FTKO, normally).

We already have a good Basic, Colorless Pokémon in the form of Bouffalant (Black & White, 91/114): I'd rather go for Revenge KOs instead of such an uncertain pay out based on just two coin tosses. In Unlimited FTKO decks have Erika's Jigglypuff, and I already pointed out it is really too unreliable for such a role. I just explained why it isn't especially good for Modified play (either format), so I'll mention the obvious, that it is a good card for Limited play. Being a Basic Pokémon makes it easy to run, while all Colorless Energy requirements and just needing two Energy makes it easy to Energize. The nature of Limited means lower average HP and damage scores, so 80 with a 0/30/60 split becomes a useful attack and filler card for your deck.

Ratings

Unlimited: 1.5/5

Modified (MD-On): 1.75/5

Modified (HGSS-On): 2/5

Limited: 4/5

Summary

Audino is a Pokémon you happily add to your deck for Limited play but quickly forget about for constructed formats. Unless we need an entire deck of Colorless Basic Pokémon for HGSS-On play, this won't serve a purpose beyond a placeholder for Bouffalant.

My eBay auctions are still going on, so feel free to see if I have anything that interests you. Remember that Pojo.com is not responsible for any transactions.

Mad Mattezhion
 Professor Bathurst League Australia
Audino (Black & White)
 
Hey guys, just a short review today. Audino is sadly one of those cards that has absolutely nothing to recommend it. The art isn't all that inspiring, the stats are below par and the single attack costs 2 energy to flip coins for damage, giving you a 25% chance of doing absolutely nothing and a 75% chance of dealing mediocre damage.
 
As an 80 HP Colourless Basic, Audino could have made the grade as a starter or tech but the complete lack of useful attacks and Abilities means that Audino rots in the shoebox.
 
Modified: 1 (Audino has nothing going for it except that it is a Colourless Basic. And there are a lot of Colourless Basics running around)
 
Limited: 1.5 (the attack is cheap and the HP is good here. Still, the damage output is unlikely to impress anyone after the first few turns, or however long it takes to play and power Zekrom and Reshiram)
 
Combos with: the shoebox


Copyright© 1998-2011 pojo.com
This site is not sponsored, endorsed, or otherwise affiliated with any of the companies or products featured on this site. This is not an Official Site.