News

Pokedex

Price Guide

Pokemon Polls

Nintendo Tips
- Pokemon SNAP
- Pokemon Pinball
- Gameboy TCG cart
- Gameboy Yellow
- Gameboy Red/Blue
- Gold & Silver
- Pokemon Stadium

Trading Card Game
- Card of the Day 
-
Price Guide
- Killer Deck Reports
- Deck Garage
- Featured Articles
- TCG Strategies
- Single Card Tips
- Rules: Q & A
- Top of the World
- Apprentice & Patch
- Apprentice League
- Spoilers & Translations
- Collector's Corner
- Places to Play

Cartoon Info
- Episode Listing
- The Characters 
- What's a Pokemon?

Featured Articles

Release Dates

Books & Videos

Downloads
-
Pokemon Wallpaper

Advertise With Us
- Sponsors
- Links

Chat

About Us
Contact Us

Join Our Mailing List for your chance to win free prizes!

 

Ness's Card of the Day

Tyranitar

Sorry for the usual excessive delay, I've been busy, starting school soon, etc.

Slam
      Tyranitar's Slam attack isn't bad, it's one of those mostly reliable, 75% chance 30+ damage is done.. if you're that interested, 25% 0, 50% 30, 25% 60.  Of course, a dark can add 10 to give you an average of 40, not bad.

Trample
      
Trample is what makes Tyranitar a good card.  It takes out babies on a flip.  This attacker often takes 2-3 prizes when it is used.  Unfortunately, Trample can hurt your own benched Pokémon too.  Unown D is the best way to protect your bench.  Unown D + Tyranitar is a great combo, definitely not easy to pull off, since removals, an Unown KO, or something KOing the Tyranitar can really hurt.
      Transparent Walls is another way to protect your bench, but it's difficult to play so many, since you'd need to use it every turn you Trampled to protect your bench.

Difficult to Build
      
Definitely the downside of Tyranitar is it's vulnerability to energy removal.  What makes it even more difficult is that you normally cannot add Darkness energy to it before it evolves into Tyranitar, since both Larvitar and Pupitar are fighting Pokémon.  They'll take damage from that dark and then easily be gusted for a KO if they don't KO themself with the dark.  Rainbow is a little more reliable, or you can just play the recycles/double colorless and wait until it's Tyranitar to play darks and rainbows.
      Unfortunately, Energy Removal is always still out there, and Larvitar and Pupitar are weak.  Brock's Ninetales isn't a bad thing to use to get to Tyranitar, and it also allows you to play Brock's Protection, then Shapeshift, to make Tyranitar immume to energy removal.   Still, it can be Gazed on the bench, and then the Ninetales would take a 30 HP cut, and darkness energy damage since it's no longer a dark Pokémon. Poor Ninetales.

HP & Retreat
      100 HP is really a nice amount. Makes it difficult to knock out.  The retreat can be lowered by discarding Tyranitar if you do play Brock's Ninetales, otherwise just try to not have to retreat it by playing EcoGym to protect it from removals, and keep Trampling.  You normally don't need to Trample many times to gain a huge advantage, because anything with 30 HP will go down on a flip.  Igglybuff can stop their Unown D, if they bench one.

Modified
      Tyranitar is definitely a better card in modified, where Energy Removal and Super Energy Removal are banned.  Modified also makes speed (like Sneasel turn 2) difficult or illegal in Sneasel's case. =D  This makes it easier to actually get the Tyranitar and Unown D combo going.

Ratings
      If I had to rate Tyranitar, in standard I would give it a 7.0 /10.  It's great when it gets going, but Energy Removal, taking out the Unown D, or the Tyranitar getting knocked out before it does serious damage really hurts.
      In
modified, it is a little better because of the absence of ER/SER, so I would give it a 8.5 /10 in modified.

Seeya around...
-Jason


Pojo.com is here to provide guidance to all Pokemon trainers out there.  Whether it's the Gameboy Game, N64 or the Trading Card Game, PoJo.com provides all the wisdom you desire. 

If you have cool game tips, a killer deck, or breaking news ... send them to us.  We'll post it on the site ... and give you all the credit.  

 

| Home |
| Nintendo Tips || Trading Card Game |

| Pokedex || Pokemon News || Cartoon Info |

All material copyright of Pojo.com.  
 c-1998-200This site is not associated with Nintendo, Wizards of the Coast, Creatures, or GAMEFREAK. Pokemon, Gameboy, and Gotta catch 'em all! are registered trademarks of Nintendo.

 PokemonTop50    Pokemon Top 40 Site List  Click Here to Visit!

    Click Here to Visit!