Main
Main Page
Message Board
Interviews
Who'd Play Who?

Trading Card Game
Scores CCG Section
Bandai Card of the Day
Old Killer Decks
Tips & Strategies
IQ's Crew
CCG Spoilers

Episode Summaries
U.S. Dubbed DBZ
U.S. Dubbed DB
U.S. Dubbed DBGT
Jap. Fansub DB
Jap. Fansub DBZ
Jap. Fansub DBGT
Movies

By Fans
DBZ Editorials
Episode Summaries
Manga Reviews
DBZ Song Parodies
Fan Fiction
Time Travel
Theory
Voice Overs
What If...?

Information
Adventure History
Akira Toriyama
Attack List
Before Dragon Ball
Biographies
Character Appearances
Character Deaths
Daizenshyu Guide
DB Summary
DBZ Summary
DBGT Summary
Dialogue Scripts
Dragon Balls
Dragon Ball GT Info
Dragon Ball Mix-Ups
Dragon Ball Time Line
Dragon Ball Wishes
Dragon Ball World Guide
Every Single Fight
Final Battle!
Jap. Game Reviews
Growing Up
Guides
Important Numbers
Item Guide
Japanese Lessons
King Kamehameha
Lyrics
Merchandise Guide
Movie Reviews
Name Puns
Name Translations
Newbie Guide
Power Levels
Relation Charts
Red Ribbon Army Ranks
Room of Spirit and Time
Saiya-jin Forms
Special Attacks
Tenkaichi Budoukai Info
Training Locations
Voice Actors

Multimedia
Daizenshyu Scans
Final Bout Scans

Video Games
Game Reviews
DBZ Sagas Walkthrough

Fan Fiction

Dragon Ball:

Chaotic Future

 

CHAPTER 8

 

Mylember Saga, Part IV

“Power Struggle.”

 

Galian sat alone.

 

            The faints sounds of battle that had echoed throughout the palace corridors had stopped several hours ago, leaving the self-proclaimed emperor of Galdria to sit upon the throne in silence.  Horace.  It was obvious to Galian that the captain of his Royal Household Guard had failed his mission, and what a simple mission it had been: escort a group of six prisoners, three of whom had been women, to the dungeon to await their execution.  Now there were two groups of fugitives running loose in the palace, much to the emperor’s distress.  Galian’s mood darkened when he thought of the miraculous return of Princess Elysia, not to mention the fact that she had, indeed, found her long lost brother.  And it was Horace’s incompetence that allowed the princess and her companions to escape.  He will be severely punished, if he lives through all of this...  Galian was snapped out of his reverie by the sound of footsteps echoing through the empty Great Hall.

            “My lord,” said a soldier as he dropped to one knee.  “We have reason to believe that Lord Arius—”

            “What did you just say?” Galian asked as he leapt from his throne.  He made his way down the steps and dealt a vicious back-handed blow to the startled soldier.  “That piece of trash doesn’t have the right to live, let alone the right to any kind of rank or title.”  The guard threw himself to the ground at his master’s feet, fearing another outburst from the emperor as Galian’s hate-filled voice echoed through the throne room.  “If I ever hear you refer to that bastard as ‘lord’ again, I will personally rip your tongue from your mouth and force it down your throat.  Understand?!”  Galian turned and slowly made his way back to the throne, and when seated calmly said, “Continue.”

            The trembling soldier did so, quietly and cautiously.  “We believe that Arius and his companions have joined forces with Dorian and Elysia.”  He was silent for a moment, awaiting any kind of reaction from Galian.  When none came, the black-clad guard continued.  “We also have reason to believe that neither party has left the palace.”  At this Galian raised his eyebrows slightly, his only reaction to the possibly disastrous news.  The palace was now being defended by only a handful of men, since Galian had sent all of his troops to the outlying spaceports, believing that the fugitives would attempt to flee.  If the fighting in the corridors was any indication, it was possible that all of Galian’s soldiers that had remained in the palace were now dead.

            “Very well,” the dark Galdrian ruler said eventually.  “It would appear that matters have fallen into my hands now.”  He cast a hate-filled glare toward the terrified soldier.  “Take whatever men you find alive to the dungeon, to assure that Gilliam and Pheris remain… undisturbed.  Kill anyone who approaches their cell, understand?”

            The black-robed warrior nodded once and turned to go.  As he reached the large double doors that separated the Great Hall from the palace corridors, the frightened guard turned to face his emperor.  “What of you, my lord?”

            Galian smiled to himself.  “When Arius decides to face me, I’ll be here waiting for him.”  The dark emperor began laughing maniacally, sending chills down the soldier’s spine.  Suddenly he stopped, and his face became a mask of madness.  “And rest assured, he will come.”

________________________________________________________________________

 

The group split up.

           

            It had been decided that Miura, Clef, and Hanzo would journey to the throne room in an attempt to remove Galian from power while Iris, Twilight, Zellis, Gabriel, Rika, Elysia, and Dorian continued on to the dungeon, where it was rumored that the former emperor Gilliam and his wife were being held.  Elysia was loathe to be separated from Miura again, after finally being reunited, but her concern for her parents convinced her in the end to remain by her brother’s side. 

            After Gabriel’s group had left, Miura, Clef, and Hanzo remained in the storage room attempting to formulate some kind of strategy.  In the end all three warriors decided that a straightforward assault was the best plan.  As Miura and his two companions left the small, dark room, the young Galdrian heir hoped that this conflict would be resolved quickly. 

            But a terrible sense of foreboding had gripped him, and Miura knew that peace was still a far off hope.

________________________________________________________________________

 

Dorian signaled a halt.

           

            It hadn’t taken long for the seven fugitives to reach the palace dungeon.  Surprisingly, it seemed that all of Galian’s guards were elsewhere, and the group remained undisturbed throughout their short excursion.  Dorian moved cautiously toward the dungeon entrance, gesturing for his companions to remain where they were.  Gabriel moved to the front of the group, his hand holding firmly onto his energy saber.  If his father was walking into a trap, Gabriel was determined to be the first one to his side.  The old Galdrian reached the large, barred entrance without incident, and he motioned for the others to join him.

            “Through this door is an intersection, with one hallway going left and the other going right.”  He paused for a moment, as if trying to remember the dungeon layout, though it had been over twenty years since he had last seen it.  “The cells are staggered on each side of each passage, starting on the right, then moving to the left, and so on.  Check each cell, and when our parents are found, alert either myself or Elysia immediately,” Dorian continued.  “Elysia, I want you, Zellis, Iris, and Twilight to check the left corridor.  Gabriel, Rika, and I will check the right, got it?”  After everyone nodded understanding, the two groups separated.

            “Zellis,” Elysia whispered as she peered into a dimly lit cell.  They had been searching the dungeon for over an hour, and so far they hadn’t found any signs of life.  “How have you and Arius been?”  She looked over her shoulder, where Zellis searched another chamber.

            “We’re alright, I guess,” the young noblewoman responded.  “We’ve just been through a lot the last year, that’s all.”  Zellis turned to face Elysia, and was surprised by the look of concern that marred the beautiful princess’s features.  “Don’t worry, Elysia,” Zellis said with a slight smile.  “He was determined to find out what happened to you, no matter what.  His feelings for you haven’t changed, I promise.”  Elysia’s expression brightened a bit, but her response to Zellis was cut off by the sound of footsteps approaching from behind. 

            “Elysia,” Rika said as she came into view.  “Hurry up and come with me.  We’ve found them!”  Tears filled the young princess’s eyes as she followed her human companion back down the long, dark corridor.

________________________________________________________________________

 

The throne room doors exploded inward.

           

            Miura, Hanzo, and Clef strode confidently forward, their eyes locked on the enemy before them.  Galian sat smugly on his throne, seemingly unfazed by the three warriors who approached him as he brushed back a lock of his long, crimson hair.  As Miura and his two companions halted before the Royal Dais, the self-proclaimed emperor of Galdria rose to his feet.

            “You’ve come,” Galian said with a wicked smile.  “I knew you would, Arius, though I’m surprised that your friends decided to come with you.”  The dark Galdrian ruler slowly descended the stairs, showing no signs of alarm at being outnumbered.  “These two companions of yours are either commendably loyal, or they’re both fools.”  Before Galian could continue, Hanzo attacked.

            The Saiyan warrior leapt forward, clearing the gap between himself and Galian instantly, and lashed out with a powerful right hook.  His fist connected with Galian’s face with an audible crack that echoed throughout the empty throne room.  The evil Galdrian emperor was taken completely by surprise, and he fell backward, tripping over the bottom step.  Before he could stand, Hanzo was upon him again, throwing an unpredictable combination of blows.

            Clef and Miura stood dumbfounded as Hanzo continued to punish Galian, forcing the dark Galdrian back up the steps toward the Royal Dais.  “I guess Hanzo didn’t appreciate being called a fool,” Miura said as he watched his half-brother’s assault.

            Clef smiled slightly and shrugged.  “Either that, or he didn’t appreciate being called your ‘friend.’”  The Namekian warrior and his half-Saiyan companion continued to watch Hanzo’s fierce assault, and the sounds of battle echoed throughout the Great Hall.  “Miura,” Clef continued, “we need to be careful…  Something about this Galian strikes me as extremely dangerous.”  As if the Namekian’s words were prophetic, an earsplitting crack echoed throughout the throne room, and a dark form flew past Miura and Clef before crashing through the wall behind them.

            “Hanzo!” Miura gasped, seeing his half-brother lying unconscious in a heap of broken stone.  Clef was dashing toward Galian before Miura had a chance to say anything, and as the Galdrian heir prepared to assist his companion, a strong hand gripped his arm.  Miura turned to see Hanzo, slightly out of breath, kneeling behind him.

            “Miura,” the older Saiyan said quietly.  “There’s something very wrong here, Galian is much more powerful than he seems.”  Hanzo stood to his feet, flexing the muscles in his neck.  “Trust me, little brother, this guy is no pushover.”

            Miura smiled slightly, despite the gravity of his half-brother’s attitude.  “I guess not.  He has to be strong to land such a powerful attack against you,” he taunted.  “Or did he just get lucky?”  Hanzo didn’t see fit to reward Miura with a response; instead he growled quietly to himself and leapt forward to join in the battle.  The former hunter merely shrugged before following after his brother.  Hopefully the others are doing as well as we are, he thought to himself.

________________________________________________________________________

 

Elysia wept.

 

            The young Galdrian princess was kneeling on the filthy floor of the dungeon cell, cradling her dying father’s head on her lap.  Zellis and the others were silent, as they had been since the two rulers of Galdria were found only moments ago.  Gilliam, the once strong and proud emperor of Galdria was now a shadow of his former self, broken and dispirited.  Every breath was a struggle for him, and it was obvious that he would soon be joining his wife in death.  Zellis cast a sidelong glance toward the corner of the cell, where Empress Pheris’s body laid, her once beautiful face now scarred and bruised.  It hurt Zellis to realize that had they arrived only moments earlier, Pheris may have been able to see the faces of her children one last time.

            Elysia cried softly to herself, struggling to hear her father’s dying words.  Emperor Gilliam had asked for a few moments alone with his children, and out of respect Zellis, Iris, Rika, and Twilight stood near the far wall, just out of hearing range.  Gilliam reached up and took his daughter’s hand, squeezing it lightly as he gestured for his son, whom he had thought lost all these years, and his grandson, who he would never now know, to come closer.  Dorian and Gabriel knelt down beside the dying Emperor, both with tears streaming down their cheeks, cutting clean paths through the dirt and dust that covered their faces.  Gilliam whispered something to his son, who nodded once and beckoned for Zellis to approach.

            The young noblewoman was shocked, but she recovered herself and came forward, feeling her own tears well up as she crouched down next to her emperor.  There was a moment of silence as Gilliam once again struggled for breath, and it was Dorian who spoke.

            “Zellis,” he said quietly, his voice thick with emotion.  “My father has asked that you bear official witness to this, his last request.”  He paused, waiting for a response from the noblewoman-turned-bounty hunter.  She nodded once, not trusting her own voice to respond.  “I will not follow my father as emperor,” he stated flatly.  “We are both agreed that my time on Earth has aged me too much, and that I have been too long absent from the politics of our planet.”  Again Zellis nodded, not sure where this conversation was heading.  Dorian continued.  “It has also been decided that Gabriel, who would be the next in line of succession, will not claim the mantel of leadership.  He has no formal training, and is ignorant of all of our customs and laws, information necessary for the future emperor.”  At this Zellis started, for suddenly she knew what was going on.

            “Dorian,” she whispered.  “You can’t be serious…”  Her eyes were wide with shock as the old prince nodded.  “My God,” Zellis gasped.  She turned her glance to Gilliam, who stared up at her with tear filled eyes.

            “My lady,” Gilliam started, his voice sounding rough and strained.  “I ask that you bear witness to this, my final act as your emperor.  Arius Miura de Galdri, son of the Saiyan Pare and Ellia de Galdri, blood of my blood, will succeed me as emperor of Galdria.”  Gilliam stopped for a moment as his body was wracked by a fit of coughing, and blood began to run from the corner of his mouth.  He reached out and took Zellis’s hand as he struggled to smile up at her, despite the tremendous amount of pain that coursed through his broken body.  “Please, my dearest Lady Zellis, tell Arius how terribly sorry I am for treating him so badly…”  Gilliam’s body shuddered once before the light left his eyes, and the grip on Zellis’s hand weakened. 

Gilliam was dead.

________________________________________________________________________

 

The battle was shifting in favor of Miura and his allies.

 

            As soon as all three warriors had surrounded Galian, the self-styled emperor’s chances of victory had disappeared.  Miura, Hanzo, and Clef continued to throw a barrage of attacks at Galian, forcing the renegade Galdrian to defend himself on all sides, a skill that he obviously hadn’t worked much on.  The outer wall of the throne room had been decimated in the struggle, and the four combatants now found themselves battling in the Princess Elysia’s courtyard garden.  Miura and his two companions had paused a moment, all of them obviously exhausted, though far from finished.  Galian had definitely proven himself to be a great warrior, for most other fighters would have been easily overwhelmed by the two Saiyans and Clef.

            Galian stood in the middle of a triangle whose points were Clef, Miura, and Hanzo.  His long black robes were now in tatters, and blood flowed freely from his nose and mouth, but still he smiled arrogantly at his opponents, and his yellow eyes were still bright with cunning.

            “I’m very impressed,” he snarled.  “Who would have thought that our battle would have come to this?”  Miura cast a questioning look toward Clef, who merely shrugged as he continued to pant for breath.  It was Hanzo who spoke up.

            “You foolish Galdrian pig,” he said with a cocky grin.  “I could have told you that it would come to this: your slow, painful death!”  The Saiyan warrior dashed toward Galian, who now stood silently with his eyes closed and his arms crossed before him.  Before Hanzo could reach his would-be enemy, the ground below him exploded into a pillar of jet black energy, unlike anything that Miura or his allies had ever felt before.  Hanzo disappeared within the dark column of power, with only his agonizing screams to prove that he was, in fact, still there.

            Miura and Clef were paralyzed, neither of them quite sure what to do after Galian’s display of raw power.  The dark emperor opened his eyes, which were now jet black, and began laughing quietly as wisps of negative energy started to course around his body.  He pointed one hand toward the pillar of darkness that surrounded Hanzo, and clenched his fist to dissipate the devastating attack.  Hanzo remained motionless in midair for a moment before falling to the ground, gasping in pain as his black clothing smoked around him. 

            Clef shot a questioning look at Miura, who nodded in agreement.  For all his power and skill, Galian had turned his back on the two warriors, having focused all of his current attention on Hanzo.  The two fighters charged Galian, eventually forsaking stealth for speed and sheer power.  At the last minute Galian turned to face them, grinning maliciously as a bubble of negative energy emanated outward from his body.  Miura and Clef were too slow to react, and their bodies exploded with pain as the dark energy tore through them.  Both warriors were sent careening backwards, unable to move as unnatural agony continued to flood their bodies.

            “Now do you see?” Galian taunted, ignoring both Hanzo and Clef as he began slowly walking toward Miura, who now lay writhing on the ground several yards away.  “This is true power, Arius.  Damn those of our ancestors who forbade us the knowledge of this strength, who were too afraid to use it for themselves.”  As he spoke, a nimbus of dark Galdrian energy erupted from his body, surrounding him and casting an eerie glow on the once beautiful gardens around him.  “I brought this knowledge to that doddering old fool Gilliam when I was told of it, but he would have nothing to do with it,” Galian said, nearly spitting when he spoke Gilliam’s name.  “He even forbade me from using it, can you believe it?  He was afraid of me, Arius!”  Galian stopped several feet away from Miura, who now lay perfectly still on the ground, still in shock from the attack that had immobilized him.  “Now, I’ll destroy you, Arius.  You see, I never really forgave you for beating me all the time when we were children… It just wasn’t right that a lousy half-breed should have had power such as yours.”  He smiled evilly at Miura, who struggled to his feet.  “My, my, how the tables have turned.”  With a snarl of rage, Galian thrust both hands toward the weakened nobleman before him, launching an attack meant to sear the flesh from Miura’s bones.

            Time seemed to slow down for the half-Saiyan as the dark flames left Galian’s hands and flew through the air between them, a mere six or seven feet.  I’ve failed you, Elysia, he thought, clenching his eyes shut.  Suddenly, Miura felt a powerful presence come between himself and Galian’s attack, and his eyes snapped open just in time to watch Clef’s body burst into black flames.  The noble warrior from Namek crumpled to the ground at Miura’s feet as the flames continued to destroy his flesh.

            “God!  Clef, no!” Miura screamed, dropping to his knees before his burning comrade.  The young Galdrian heir sat in silent misery, knowing for sure that Clef was beyond his ability to help.  Clef had sacrificed himself so that Miura could go on, so that he could destroy Galian and get his own life back to what it used to be, before Hanzo, before Mylember, before any of this.  Miura clenched his eyes shut to stop the tears, and his stomach turned sick as the smell of charred flesh assailed his nostrils.  The young half-Saiyan didn’t have long to mourn, however, as Galian was suddenly upon him.

            The dark Galdrian ruler lashed out at Miura with a lightning fast combination of blows, most of which found their mark easily.  Galian laughed as he continued to pummel the former hunter, and Miura was forced back.  Eventually Miura found an opening, and he drilled his fist into Galian’s abdomen, causing the evil Galdrian to gasp in pain.  Miura took advantage of his opponent’s shock and delivered a thunderous roundhouse kick to Galian’s jaw, sending the false emperor spiraling through a nearby wall and into the palace’s main courtyard.  Loathe to let Galian out of his sight for even a moment, Miura flew after him, foolishly thinking himself in control of the battle.  He was mistaken.

            No sooner had the half-Galdrian noble cleared the wall between garden and courtyard when an orb of dark power collided full on with him, again filling his body with an unnatural pain.  He had no time to put up any kind of defense when Galian leapt toward him and began an entirely new cycle of punishment, this time in midair. 

I’m a fool, Miura thought as his vision began to darken.  He’s so much stronger than I could have imagined.  But soon he realized something:  he and his allies had faced Mylember, a powerful Hevan overlord, and lived to tell about it.  Galian was powerful, true, but he was no Hevan.  He’s beating me mentally as much as physically, Miura thought.  He’s definitely stronger than me now, but would that have stopped me as a child?  An image of himself being assaulted by Galian as a child flashed into his mind, filling him with rage.  What would I have done then?

Galian pulled his fist back for another punch when an aura of raw, unrestrained golden power exploded from within Miura’s body, engulfing both warriors in a blinding light.  The dark emperor was still struggling to see when Miura’s fist collided with his face, causing him to scream in rage and pain.  The next attack came just as fast, with Miura appearing above him and hammering him downward, where he plowed into the ground, kicking up a cloud of dust.  Miura landed lightly on the ground nearby, his body glowing with the aura of a Super Saiyan.  He narrowed his cold green eyes as Galian leapt out from the crater he had created in the center of the courtyard, landing only yards away.

“So, I see you’ve picked up a thing or two since you left us,” Galian said, spitting out a mouthful of blood, along with a single white tooth.  “But you’re more of a fool than Gilliam if you think you can defeat me, Arius.”  Galian smiled maliciously, though the effect was somewhat lost on Miura, who was distracted by the gap left by the dark Galdrian’s missing tooth.  “Soon you’ll be able to finally meet your barbarian father,” the self-proclaimed emperor of Galdria snarled.  “And your whore of a mother.”  He waited silently, full of a sense of victory, for as children, comments about Miura’s dead parents had always blinded the half-Saiyan with rage.  Unfortunately for Galian, Miura said nothing, and simply looked calmly to the left.  “Do you really think so little of my intelligence?” Galian asked coldly.  “I’ll not be tricked by your—” the evil Galdrian was cut short as an enormous blast of yellow-gold ki plowed into him from the left, engulfing him and drilling him into yet another of the palace’s thick stone walls.

Miura glared toward the outer palace wall, where Galian lay unmoving on the ground.  “You should have looked left after all.”  The young nobleman turned his attention to the direction from which the powerful attack had come, and he felt strangely relieved to see Hanzo standing on the other side of the courtyard, his arms still outstretched after firing off such a forceful blast of energy.  Like Miura, Hanzo had transformed into a Super Saiyan, and despite his earlier injury, he seemed ready to continue the battle.

“Well, little brother,” Hanzo said, the rage in his voice startling Miura.  “I say we kill this bastard slowly,” the older Saiyan turned his shining green eyes on his brother, “for Clef.”  Miura was caught off guard, and he felt a slight pang of pride for his half-brother.  The Galdrian heir nodded once, and both Saiyan warriors dashed toward Galian, who was now slowly standing to his feet.

            As the brothers neared their target, a terrible shrieking sound, like a thousand lost souls screaming their sorrow, tore through the air around them.  Suddenly, tendrils of jet black energy burst forth from the ground, entangling Miura and Hanzo before they could reach Galian.  As the tendrils tightened around their bodies, both warriors watched in horror as Galian began walking toward them, his body surrounded by an aura of chilling black flames.  The very ground beneath the dark Galdrian’s feet cracked, and thin lines of black power began to spread across the floor of the courtyard.  As Galian neared them, Miura and Hanzo began to tremble, for the power they were now feeling was terrible in its wrath.

            “I’m afraid you’re mistaken, Saiyan dog,” Galian whispered, his voice filled with an unearthly power.  “It will be the two of you who will die slowly.”  He smiled then, and the two Saiyans felt their stomachs twist at the sight of it.  “That is, if I’m even merciful enough to let you die…”

________________________________________________________________________

 

Dorian watched in horror as Galian easily manipulated the Forbidden Power.

 

            Elysia, Rika, Gabriel, Iris, Zellis, and Twilight entered what was left of the throne room just behind the old prince, who stood watching the ensuing battle in the courtyard below.  Before Dorian could even say a word, Gabriel was off, dashing through the large hole in the wall of the Great Hall.  The young warrior’s energy saber seemingly appeared in his hand, and there was a small flash of light as the pale blue blade came to life.

            “Gabriel, no!” Dorian shouted as his son cleared the gap between themselves and the combatants in seconds.  Another form left Dorian’s side, and he clenched his teeth as Zellis also flew toward the battlefield.  Rika was about to join her companions when she felt Dorian’s firm grasp on her arm.

            “Damn it Dorian!” she protested.  “Let me go help them!”  But try as she might, the warrior from Earth was unable to pull free of Dorian’s grip.  “I’m strong enough, I can fight!” 

            “Not this time, my dear,” the former Galdrian heir said quietly.  “I’m afraid that your powers, and mine too, aren’t enough to turn the tide of this power struggle.”  Rika looked up at Dorian, her brown eyes narrowed in anger.  “Galdrian energy, and a lot of it, is the only thing that can penetrate the dark power that Galian has conjured up.”

            Iris stepped forward, her body trembling slightly out of fear for her friends.  “But…”  She turned around to face Dorian, her features clouded with fear.  “But Miura can’t gather Galdrian energy!”  At this the old prince started, for he didn’t realize that all of Miura’s power seemed to stem from his Saiyan heritage.

            “Well then,” he said, almost to himself.  “We’ll have to do something about that, won’t we?”  His expression turned stern as he gazed long and hard at Elysia, Iris, Rika, and Twilight.  “All of you stay here, understand?  If the battle is lost, get to the nearest ship and escape from here.”  Without another word, the former heir made his way toward the battlefield.

________________________________________________________________________

 

Galian screamed in rage as the tendrils were cut.

            Miura and Hanzo fell to the ground, their Super Saiyan energy dissipating as they struggled just to remain on their hands and knees.  Both warriors gasped in surprise as a form shot between them, heading straight for Galian.  Before either exhausted Saiyan could react, the decimated courtyard around them exploded into a burst of light.  And Galian screamed.

            Another form, this one more familiar to Miura, flew past the two Saiyans.  As the light died down, Miura let out a gasp of surprise at what he saw:  the tendrils that Galian had summoned forth seemed to be disintegrating, and the aura around the treacherous Galdrian had become less defined, as if his power was suddenly weakening.  Two warriors stood between Galian and his injured opponents, one was obviously Zellis, surrounded by a nimbus of Galdrian energy, and the other appeared to be Dorian’s son, Gabriel, whose body was also glowing brightly.

            “Miura, can you stand?” his adopted sister asked without taking her attention from Galian.  The injured and exhausted nobleman muttered a reply, and Zellis nodded.  “I think you should go, and take Hanzo with you.”  Before Miura had a chance to protest, Zellis continued.  “Just go!  Gabriel and I will do what we can, but you’re in no condition to continue this fight!”  The half-Saiyan nodded once, seeing the wisdom in his sister’s words. 

As he helped Hanzo to his feet, Miura looked at Zellis over his shoulder.  “Z,” he said softly.  “You should know that he killed Clef.”  The former hunter saw his adopted-sister stiffen slightly, knowing that she shared his pain.  Though she hadn’t spent as much time with the Namekian warrior as her partner had, Zellis had come to deeply admire Clef’s wisdom and strength.  God help Galian now, Miura thought as he staggered to safety with his half-brother.  Before Miura and Hanzo had even reached the remains of Elysia’s garden, battle once again erupted in the courtyard.

________________________________________________________________________

 

Galian’s defense seemed impenetrable.

 

            Zellis was like a bolt of light, her body emanating an incredible amount of Galdrian energy as she flew toward her opponent, dodging between the seemingly endless barrage of dark power that Galian threw at her.  Unfortunately for Zellis, every time that she managed to get within a few feet of Galian, an enormous pillar of black flames would burst up from the ground below her, forcing her back.

            Gabriel was having the same difficulties as his ally, though he chose to take a more aggressive course of action.  Every time one of Galian’s dark pillars blocked his path, the young Galdrian warrior would lash out with all of his strength, using his energy saber to forcibly slash through the black flames.  Whenever Gabriel’s shining blue blade made contact with the evil energy, the entire pillar would explode into a cloud of noxious black vapor, allowing the half-human to move closer to his target.  Eventually, though, Galian tired of Gabriel’s continuing advance.

            As Gabriel’s attention was focused on another column of dark fire, Galian used his tremendous speed to maneuver behind the young half-Galdrian.  Gabriel realized this too late, and the self-proclaimed emperor of Galdria took advantage of the opening in his young opponent’s defense.

            “Gabriel!” Zellis screamed as Galian, whose entire body was engulfed in an aura of shadowy flames, thrust his hand toward the half-human’s neck.  She winced and turned her head away, unwilling to witness the death of Prince Dorian’s only son.  But the cry of pain never came, and as the former hunter reopened her eyes, she gasped in amazement.

            Gabriel had managed to dodge aside at the last minute, and the strike that had been meant for his neck had found a different mark.  A look of pain momentarily appeared on Gabriel’s face as he looked downward at Galian’s left hand, which was now firmly embedded in the young warrior’s right shoulder.  With a growl of frustration, Gabriel tossed his energy saber from his right hand, which was now almost useless due to Galian’s flawed attack, to his unharmed left, lashing out with a devastating backhanded slash.  Galian gasped in shock as the blade sung through the air toward his face, the glowing blue blade flaring slightly in response to its wielder’s strong emotion.  As contact was made, Zellis and the observers were blinded by a sudden flash of light, and Galian’s cry of pain echoed off of the surrounding walls.

            As the light died down, Zellis was able to see the outcome of the short, but heated, confrontation.  Gabriel had managed to use his injured arm long enough to remove Galian’s hand from his shoulder.  With his left arm now firmly in Gabriel’s grasp, Galian was forced to reach over with his right hand to stop the energy saber’s wicked attack.  The end result was, in Zellis’s opinion, worth Gabriel’s effort.

            Galian’s face was contorted with hatred and agony as he stared at his right hand, which held the blade of Gabriel’s saber in a firm grip.  The blue energy from the half-human’s weapon had somehow transferred itself onto Galian’s body, and the dark emperor’s entire right hand was pulsing with a bright blue light.  The pain must have been incredible, because Galian’s pale face turned as crimson as his long hair as he screamed in anguish.  He quickly let go of Gabriel’s deadly saber, his body shuddering with pain, but it did him no good.

            “What in the hell is happening?!” Galian managed to cry out, watching in terror as the blue energy began to slowly engulf his entire arm.  “You’ll pay, princeling!”  Finally Galian understood what was happening:  the blue light that now covered his arm was pure, powerful Galdrian energy, which was anathema to his own dark powers.  “No…” he muttered, amazed that this incredible power he had mastered could succumb to such a simple weakness.  “When I’m finished with you, boy, you’ll be wishing you’d stayed on your own planet!”

            Gabriel merely glared at the wounded enemy before him, his aura of Galdrian energy flaring out around him, causing Galian to shrink back.  “You’re wrong,” Gabriel whispered, taking a step forward.  “This is as much my planet as Earth is.”  Slowly, menacingly, the half-Galdrian pulled his saber back, readying it for a final strike.  “What I do now, I do for my grandparents, who died as a result of your actions!”  Gabriel swung the saber downward, but the finishing blow never came.

            Zellis’s eyes widened in astonishment as several tendrils of black energy burst out of the ground around Gabriel, constricting tightly around him and causing him to drop his precious Galdrian saber.  The young warrior screamed in agony as the tendrils around him sent waves of dark energy through his body.  Zellis was filled with rage when she saw Gabriel’s Galdrian power leave him, for his body was now too exhausted to sustain it.  The young noblewoman immediately dashed toward the two warriors in a desperate attempt to save Gabriel, whose remaining life now seemed dangerously short.

            “Gabriel, fight it!” Zellis shouted as she neared her stricken ally.  Galian glanced in her direction, his jet black eyes shining with pain and anger.  Zellis felt her skin crawl under that hateful gaze, and she began focusing large amounts of Galdrian power into her hands.  “Take this, for Clef!” she cried, tossing two powerful orbs of energy toward Galian.  But like Gabriel’s intended finishing blow, Zellis’s attacks never found their mark as an enormous amount of energy, emanating directly from Galian’s dark aura, exploded around her, filling the entire courtyard with a flash of black fire, in which Zellis and Gabriel were hopelessly trapped.

________________________________________________________________________

 

Miura watched as his sister vanished in a cloud of dark flames.

 

            Instinct took over as the half-Saiyan stood to his feet, prepared to reenter the battle despite his lack of energy.  Hanzo stood also, ready to give his half-brother back up if necessary.  Before Miura had a chance to make his move, however, Dorian arrived, grabbing the former hunter but the tattered remnants of his cloak.

            “Don’t Arius,” the old prince ordered, his voice as strong and powerful as his grip.  “With your current power, you can never hope to beat Galian.”  Dorian stared deeply into Miura’s eyes, pleading with him to listen.  When Miura nodded once, Dorian continued.  “Galian can only be overwhelmed by an incredible amount of Galdrian energy, more than Gabriel and Zellis could generate on their own.”  As he mentioned his son’s name, Dorian’s features clouded with worry.  “Gabriel’s wound has weakened Galian greatly, but neither of them has enough power to finish this.”

            “You don’t understand,” Miura replied, turning his back to his fiancée’s older brother.  “I can’t…  I’ve never been able to use Galdrian energy.”

            “That’s because you’ve always focused so much on the Saiyan half of your heritage,” Dorian quickly replied.  “I can show you, right now, how to use the tremendous amount of power that lies dormant within you.”  Miura was silent for a moment, unsure if Dorian was actually able to do such a thing.

            “How long will this take,” the young nobleman finally asked, never taking his gaze from the dark inferno that had once been the courtyard.  “How long?” he repeated.

            It was Dorian’s turn to be silent now, but eventually he responded.  “A few moments, no more.”  Dorian’s mind spun as he struggled to explain the concept to Miura.  “It’s called the ‘Mind Sync,’ and by performing it I will be able to instantly transfer my knowledge of Galdrian energy manipulation to you, though you may have a headache for the next few days.”

            “We don’t have anymore time!”  Miura exclaimed.  “Zellis and your son are dying in there!”  Again Miura prepared to enter the battle, but this time Hanzo was the one to restrain him.

            “Do as the old man says,” the Saiyan demanded.  “Don’t worry about your pretty little sister, or the boy.  I’ll stall Galian long enough for you two to do your little mind trick.”  Hanzo flashed his brother a quick grin, but Miura knew how weakened the older Saiyan was.  For Hanzo to attempt this would be suicide.

            “Why are you willing to do this for me?” Miura asked.  But it was too late, for Hanzo had already dashed headlong into the dark flames.  “Well?” asked, turning to Dorian, his body trembling with exhaustion and fear.

            The old prince nodded once, gesturing for Miura to sit.  When both of them were seated across from each other, Dorian reached out and took Miura’s head between his hands.  Miura instantly felt a strange warmth emanate from Dorian’s palms, and his eyelids became heavy.

            “This may be a bit jarring,” Dorian said quietly, as Miura’s vision went dark.  There was a brief moment of peace before a staggering amount of pain began to tear the young warrior’s mind apart.

________________________________________________________________________

 

Hanzo burst through the wall of fire.

 

            There he is, the cocky bastard, Hanzo thought to himself as he watched Galian toy with the two weakened Galdrians.  Gabriel was still immobilized by Galian’s black tendrils, though he now looked as if he was at death’s door, for as surely as the dark power was weakened by Galdrian energy, so too was the opposite true.  Hanzo turned his attention to Zellis, who struggled vainly to land a blow against her opponent, who still held the upper hand, despite the debilitating pain caused by Gabriel’s saber attack.

            Hanzo hung back for a moment, drawing on as much power as he could still muster.  So, Super Saiyan is no longer an option, he thought angrily, feeling his body reach it’s energy limit in a surprisingly short amount of time.  So be it.  With a small burst of energy, Hanzo began a suicide dash toward Galian, hoping to buy as much time as possible for Dorian and Miura.  He didn’t go unnoticed for long.

            Galian spun around to face him, obviously surprised to find a third opponent.  His shock was short lived, however, as he instantly sent out a wave of dark Galdrian energy against his Saiyan opponent.  Hanzo was barely able to dodge aside, and he felt pain explode along his ribs as a part of the blast still managed to make contact.  Ignoring the stunning sensations along his side, Hanzo fired a blast of red ki toward Galian, praying that it was strong enough to do some damage.  Galian easily deflected the attack, but in doing so left himself wide open to Zellis, who took full advantage of the situation. 

            The Galdrian noblewoman placed both hands out before her, summoning as much power as she could for a single attack.  She cried out and collapsed to the ground as the last of her Galdrian energy left her, speeding silently toward Galian, who remained oblivious until the last moment.  As he turned, Zellis’s attack plowed into him, exploding into a flash of light and kicking up an amazing cloud of dust.  Galian screamed in rage as he staggered back, only to feel Hanzo’s fist collide with his stomach.

            Now it was Hanzo’s turn to cry out, for as soon as his fist made contact with Galian’s body, a tremor of pain shot through his arm, stunning him.  It was then that Galian made his counter attack, bringing his knee up into the Saiyan’s chin, knocking him straight into the air, where he was struck again by two bolts of dark energy.  Hanzo was unconscious when he finally hit the ground.  Free of all distractions now, Galian returned his attention to Gabriel, who still struggled weakly against the tendrils that encircled him.

            “Well, my boy, this has most certainly been enlightening,” Galian taunted as he delivered a powerful backhand to Gabriel’s jaw.  “You and your friends definitely had more fight in you than I had thought.”  He raised his hand, placing it only inches from the young warrior’s face.  “But now it’s over, and Arius will be next.”  Galian’s hand began to faintly glow as he gathered enough power to wipe out any trace of Gabriel’s existence. 

Unfortunately for Galian, another blast was fired first, and it sped quickly toward him, a silver orb of Galdrian energy surrounded by white flames.  The evil Galdrian was too slow to dodge the attack, and as it struck him, pain more powerful than any he had ever experienced tore through his already injured body.  His eyes opened wide and reverted back to their original yellow, and he growled in rage as he felt his energy weakening.  But who!? he thought suddenly as his body was struck with another powerful burst of Galdrian energy.  This time it was too much, and Galian fell to the ground, writhing in misery as his body was wracked with pain.  He gasped in amazement as Miura strode calmly across the decimated courtyard, heading straight for him.

The half-Saiyan’s body was encircled by a shimmering aura of silver and white Galdrian energy, casting an eerie light over his stern features.  His tattered cloak blew violently around him, and his hair swayed back and forth in the unnatural wind created by his power.  Through the haze of Galdrian force, Miura appeared cold and frightening, and Galian knew that he was finished.

Miura stopped in front of Galian’s trembling form, smiling slightly in amusement as he reached down to pick the self-styled emperor up by his long, red hair.  “I’m not only doing this for the people you’ve killed: Pheris, Gilliam, Clef, and who knows how many else,” Miura whispered menacingly, his bright purple eyes glowing faintly.  “I’m doing this for me.”  Galian tried to protest, but it was too late.  Miura discharged all of his newfound Galdrian power in one tremendous attack, engulfing Galian’s entire body in a blinding light, and instantly dispersing the dark flames that had continued to burn throughout the gardens and courtyard.  The aftershock of such an attack was disastrous, and Miura was vaguely aware that nearly half of the palace suddenly exploded as he poured more and more power into his destructive attack, to insure that Galian was indeed finished.

There will be no miraculous survival, Miura thought.  His body will be ashes and dust before I’m satisfied!  Eventually, though, Miura exhausted his vast supply of strength, and he collapsed into the pile of ashes at his feet.

Ashes that had been Galian.

 

To be continued…



- All material copyright of Pojo.com.
c-1999-2007

This site is not associated with Cartoon Network or TOEI Entertainment.
Dragonball Z  is a registered trademark of TOEI Animation CO., LTD.