Pojo's Magic The Gathering news, tips, strategies and more!

Pojo's MTG
MTG Home
Message Board
News & Archives
Deck Garage
BMoor Dolf BeJoSe

Columnists
Paul's Perspective
Jeff Zandi
DeQuan Watson
Jordon Kronick
IQ
Aburame Shino
Rare Hunter
Tim Stoltzfus
WiCkEd
Judge Bill's Corner


Trading Card
Game

Card of the Day
Guide for Newbies
Decks to Beat
Featured Articles
Peasant Magic
Fan Tips
Tourney Reports


Other
Color Chart
Book Reviews
Online Play
MTG Links
Staff



This Space
For Rent

Pojo's Magic The Gathering Card of the Day

Magic: The Gathering
Image from Wizards.com

Augur of Skulls
Future Sight


Reviewed September 14, 2007

Constructed: 3.00
Casual: 3.00
Limited: 4.00

Ratings are based on a 1 to 5 scale
1 being the worst.  3 ... average.  
5 is the highest rating

Click here to see all our 
Card of the Day Reviews 

BMoor

Augur of Skulls

Like Monday's Ravenous Rats, this is a decent discard effect tacked onto a subpar creature. At least this time the creature can regenerate, meaning you might want to hold onto the creature for blocking purposes. The "sacrifice on upkeep" mechanic also creates a lot of interesting play decisions. Do I make them discard now, or would I rather have the Drudge Skeletons for a turn?

Constructed- 2.5
Casual- 2.5
Limited- 3.5


David N

Friday - Augur of Skulls

One of the best augur cards of the set. This card is great early for discard and amazing late for the regeneration ability. Regeneration has been a very amazing ability with the lost of a lot of trample creatures. This guy holds back a 6/7 tarmogoyf all day long.

Constructed: 4
Casual: 4
Limited: 5

David Fanany

Player since 1995

Augur of Skulls

The only thing preventing Augur of Skulls from getting higher scores than Ravenous Rats across the board is the fact that it doesn't force discard immediately. This can be an advantage (if you follow it up with a main-phase Stupor) or a disadvantage (if your opponent has a Mogg Fanatic on the table). However, it is significantly better in limited for one main reason: it regenerates. Any creature that can kill a Blade of the Sixth Pride and survive, or hold off a Nessian Courser until the end of days, is worth playing.

Constructed: 2/5
Casual: 2/5
Limited: 3/5
PsychoAnime

#1 Magic Noob in Canada since 2002
Augur of Skulls

For 2 mana, you get a 1/1 regenerator or a Mind Rot. In all fairness, playing this out on turn 2 without the mana for regeneration will mean 80% of the time you'll never get the Mind Rot effect. But if you hit the other 20%, you've got a nice blocker that can trade into a Mind Rot when it becomes useless. That's nice. It's not very efficient, but it's versatility makes up for that.

In The Rack decks, it's also a pseudo turn 2 Mind Rot, which speeds up the deck a lot. Pulling off a turn 2 surviving Augur of Skulls followed by a turn 2 Stupor is a very powerful play that will mean good game for control.

Constructed: 3/5
Casual: 3/5
Limited: 4/5

Copyrightę 1998-2007 pojo.com
This site is not sponsored, endorsed, or otherwise affiliated with any of the companies or products featured on this site. This is not an Official Site.